Corné Erasmus - 07.06.19
On 26 May 2019, a WhatsApp came through from Godfrey Lodge to say that a Grey Wagtail was spotted by Patrick Killian at the Swartkops River, next to Despatch in the Eastern Cape.
This photo and news spread quickly to all interested and, needless to say, many of us flocked to Havenga Street, Despatch where we parked to walk a short distance to the river. This was mainly on 27 May until 30 May. After that, no luck!
The following photos were taken by some of the “twitchers”. Grey Wagtails are special birds with beautiful colours.
This sighting was only the 6th time that a Grey Wagtail has been spotted in the Eastern Cape. Previous observations were:
- 8-9 July 1989 – Cape Recife, Port Elizabeth: Peter Hall
- 20 June – 14 July 1993 at Settlers Park, Port Elizabeth: Paul Martin and Dave Brown
- 7 February 2003 – Kologha Forest, Stutterheim: C McMaster
- 21 January 2006 – Swallowtail Falls, Hogsback: M Taylor, D Parker
- 1 January 2007 – Hogsback: G Russell